Everyone loves to flash their pearly whites which is why teeth whitening is a trend. You can choose to have your teeth whitening done at a dentist, but that’s an expensive option which is why people are shifting more toward DIY teeth whitening kits which are readily available as over-the-counter products in any local pharmacy or drugstore.
Is DIY tooth whitening worth it?
Do it yourself kits that are used for teeth whitening mostly involve bleaches, whitening strips, specialized toothpaste, and rinses and mouthwashes designed specifically for whitening teeth. People are looking to these kits for their teeth whitening solutions. Despite what the boxes say, DIY teeth whitening can lead to a lot of costly mistakes that is damaging in the long run.
Common mistakes which are overlooked
Teeth stains can occur due to several reasons and whitening may not always be the answer.
- Consulting a dentist before going for teeth whitening is a wise choice as your discolored teeth may have happened due to gum disease or tooth decay. In either case, whitening is not a viable solution.
- Using organic treatment products like baking soda mixtures can be effective for removing plaque temporarily. If the discoloration occurs under the enamel, it can be troublesome. In some cases, they can also cause increased sensitivity in teeth. If used regularly for a prolonged period of time, it can damage your enamel severely.
- Whitening strips are popular but can be increasingly damaging if used extensively and improperly. They have limits and the chemicals used are not always good for the teeth. It can cause enamel degradation, burning gums, and infections in the oral cavity. It can also result in hypersensitivity and uneven white splotches on the teeth, and even gum diseases requiring surgical treatments.
- If you prefer to use dental cleaning products like rinses and mouthwashes that advertise whitening capabilities, you must limit the usage to mild levels. These usually have an increased alcohol content that can be harmful to teeth.
- There are commercially available whitening trays that can be applied without supervision and, generally, is popular with the do-it-yourself community. The unsavory side of this is that the bleaching leads to decaying of the enamel layers and might trigger periodontal disease if used extensively.
Consult a professional
DIY teeth whitening kits can help save a lot of expenses, but are not appropriate to use without the advice of your dental care professional like Dentist in Grand Prairie. You can also get customized kits at your dentist’s which is customized in accordance to your dental condition and can help avoid unnecessary complications.